kafka-users mailing list archives

From Emmett Butler <emm...@parsely.com>
Subject ListOffsets parameters
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2018 20:21:20 GMT
Hi users,

I'm the maintainer of the PyKafka <https://github.com/parsely/pykafka>
library and I'm working on improving its support for the ListOffsets API.
Some questions:

Kafka version: 1.0.0
I'm using this documentation
<https://kafka.apache.org/protocol#The_Messages_ListOffsets> for reference.

In some cases, ListOffsets requests return an empty array of offsets. Is
this expected behavior? If so, when?

What format is the Timestamp parameter expected in? I've been using
milliseconds since epoch (python: time.time() * 1000), but I haven't
managed to get a response that isn't either [0] or [] using this approach.
Could this have to do with the number of log segments on my topic, or the
presence of a time index? How do I make a request including a Timestamp
(not special values -1 or -2) that returns a valid offset? What is the
meaning of a [0] response in this context?

What is the MaxNumberOfOffsets parameter supposed to do? When I request max
10 offsets, I get back [12345, 0] (two offsets). Again, could this have to
do with the number of log segments on my topic?

Related PyKafka issue tickets for reference:
https://github.com/Parsely/pykafka/issues/728
https://github.com/Parsely/pykafka/issues/733

Thanks for your help.

--