kafka-users mailing list archives

From Gary Taylor <garydavidtay...@gmail.com>
Subject Developing with kafka and other non jvm languages
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2018 07:46:50 GMT
Hi,
  This is a fairly generic question but has some specifics too

Ill ask the specific first - I am trying to use golang to talk to kafka and it works, but
a fairly important part of my application is to subscribe to information in many topics where
the topic is matched server side and will include new topics added since the subscribe.  I
have read that kafka can do this, but I cannot see any way of asking it to do it via golang
apart from with the library https://github.com/confluentinc/confluent-kafka-go <https://github.com/confluentinc/confluent-kafka-go>
- which uses a library called librdkafka which I would have to compile and I am struggling
as I am using an arm processor (long story behind that one - but I don’t think this solution
will ever work with an arm processor).  All other libraries seem to not offer this.  Is this
because of some underlying restriction in kafka or do you think it is going to be a case of
keep hunting until I find one that does ?

Then the more generic question - I get the feeling that Scala and Java are first class citizens
when it comes to using kafka.  Whilst I love Scala - I am learning golang and am more generally
a ruby developer.  Am I likely go get a ‘second class’ service with these other languages
- with restrictions around zookeeper for example (I think I read something about having to
have knowledge of which partition to subscribe to - where zookeeper would normally track this
but there is no API for it) ?

Many Thanks

Gary Taylor