kafka-users mailing list archives

From ebuck@smartertravel.com <eb...@smartertravel.com>
Subject Offset auto-commit stops after timeout
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2018 14:30:38 GMT
In our kafka consumer logs, we're seeing the following messages:

2018-03-05 03:57:03,350 INFO  org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.AbstractCoordinator
 - Marking the coordinator kafka08:9092 (id: 2147483639 rack: null) dead for group mygroup
2018-03-05 03:57:03,350 WARN  org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.ConsumerCoordinator
 - Auto-commit of offsets {topic1-11=OffsetAndMetadata{offset=64888089, metadata=''}} failed
for group mygroup: Offset commit failed with a retriable exception. You should retry committing
offsets. The underlying error was: The request timed out.

After this message appears, the consumer no longer auto-commits offsets to the broker, even
though the timeout does not repeat (and the consumer continues to consume messages from the
topic partitions).

Is this expected behavior that once the coordinator is marked dead from a single timeout,
it no longer attempts to send auto-commit offsets? Shouldn't the timeout apply only to a single
attempt at ConsumerCoordinator.sendOffsetCommitRequest(), and subsequent offset commits would
still go through?

We are using kafka client version 0.11.0.2 and kafka server version kafka-1.0.0.