kafka-users mailing list archives

From "McNealy, Sean" <SEAN.MCNE...@ncr.com>
Subject Turning on compaction - can I rolling restart?
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2018 19:09:06 GMT
I have a cluster of 3 kafka brokers running 0.10.2 that have been running for a while with
the property “log.cleaner.enable=false” and I would like to turn compaction on.

Is it safe to do this using a rolling restart? Will the cluster stay healthy with some brokers
running with the compaction property turned on and some still off? Will some partitions start
compacting and some not yet? Can partitions stay in sync?

Or does this property require every broker to be stopped simultaneously, then make the change,
and then started.

Thanks,

Sean