kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Matthias J. Sax" <matth...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: Correct usage of consumer groups
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 18:21:55 GMT
About the docs:

Config `cleanup.policy` states:

> A string that is either "delete" or "compact".
> This string designates the retention policy to
> use on old log segments. The default policy> ("delete") will discard old segments
when their
> retention time or size limit has been reached.> The "compact" setting will enable
log
> compaction on the topic.

Because deletions happens based on segments, it it clear that some
messages are retained longer, because a segment can only be dropped if
_all_ messages in a segment passed the retention time.

Does this make sense?

Of course, we are always happy to improve the docs. Feel free to do a PR :)

-Matthias