kafka-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Log Cleanup Support for Windows [KAFKA-1194]
Date Wed, 09 May 2018 15:10:57 GMT
a patch could be rejected if:

1)there is no TestCase to prove the feature works
2)the patch causes failure in an existing testcase
3)the patch errors in an existing testcase
4)the patch works in only 1 version of OS (and doesnt work in other versions of OS)
5)implementing the patch will place a drag on existing resources
(too many ports open/memory exhaused/diskspace exhausted)

Have you verified 1-5 run clean?
Martin

________________________________
From: M. Manna <manmedia@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:51 AM
To: Kafka Users
Subject: Log Cleanup Support for Windows [KAFKA-1194]

Hello,

This issue has been outstanding for a while and impacting us both in
development and deployment time. We have had to manually build kafka core
jar and use it to work with Windows for over a year. The auto log/index
cleanup feature is very important for us on Windows because it helps us
avoid potential downtime for brokers so that they can be removed manually.

I have raised 2 pull requests so far but it was not considered at all. The
patch is quite simply but works with both Win/Linux platforms without
impacting any existing operation. The latest pull request is here

https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4947
[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/38857392?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4947>

KAFKA-1194 Forces unmapping of buffer if on Windows by mmanna-sapfgl · Pull Request #4947
· apache/kafka<https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4947>
github.com
Unit Test 'testChangeFileSuffixes' on LogSegmentTest.scala passes. but other file IO rel...

I would be grateful if someone kindly considers this issue as Windows is
still a valid platform and we would like to utilise the cleanup
functionality that comes out of the box.

Regards,