kafka-users mailing list archives

From Craig Ching <craigch...@gmail.com>
Subject Problem consuming from broker 1.1.0
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 04:24:58 GMT
Hi!

We’re having a problem with a new kafka cluster at 1.1.0.  The problem is, in general, that
consumers can’t consume from the different broker (old broker was 0.11 I think).  The easiest
recipe I have for reproducing the problem is that downloading kafka 1.0.1 and running console
consumer can’t consume from the 1.1.0 cluster while a 1.1.0 console consumer can.  We’re
invoking console consumer like this:

bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh \
    —bootstrap-server [kafka server] \
    —topic [our topic] \
    —max-messages 3

That works for a 1.1.0 console consumer, but not for 1.0.1.  However, if we change that to:

bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh \
    —zookeeper [zookeeper server] \
    —topic [our topic] \
    —max-messages 3

Then it works for 1.0.1.

I was wondering, is the zookeeper schema published for 1.1.0?  I have a feeling that maybe
something is wrong in zookeeper and I know earlier versions of kafka used to publish the zk
schema, could there be a problem in zk?  if so, what might I look for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Craig