kafka-users mailing list archives

From Craig Ching <craigch...@gmail.com>
Subject Debugging message timestamps in Sarama
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 14:10:58 GMT
Hi!

I'm working on debugging a problem with how message timestamps are handled
in the sarama client.  In some cases, the sarama client won't associate a
timestamp with a message while the kafka console consumer does.  I've found
the documentation on the message format here:

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#messageformat

But the information there is very sparse.  For instance, what are
'firstTimestamp' and 'maxTimestamp'?  It seems that when I'm debugging
sarama, firstTimestamp is set to -1 and maxTimestamp appears to be the
timestamp I want.  Is there some state about the message that I need to
understand in order to have maxTimestamp be used?  Any further
documentation or guidance on this would be very helpful!

On another note, I am trying to debug this through the scala/java console
consumer, but I'm having a hard time getting IntelliJ setup.  Is there
anything special or documentation I need to set this up for debugging?