kafka-users mailing list archives

From Dan Rosanova <dar...@microsoft.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Monitor the state of an event-based choreography
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:26:11 GMT
Are you looking more for an Actor or orchestration layer and visibility? I don’t know of
one per se,  it would also be interested.

Dan

________________________________
From: Jonathan Roy <jonathan.roy@caldera.com.invalid>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:22 AM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Monitor the state of an event-based choreography

Hello,

We are currently studying event-driven architectures with Kafka, and one thing that scares
me a bit is that we have no way to know at any moment what is the state of a business transaction
that spans multiple services. Let’s consider the following simple flow:
1. the ‘orders’ service creates a ‘new order’ event.
2. the ‘validation’ service validates the order and publishes an ‘order validated’
or ‘order rejected’.
3. the ‘email’ service sends a confirmation email to the customer.

This does not directly concern Kafka but are there some tools that help visually tracking
the status of any particular order, and know which part of the flow remains to be done? I
know Confluent Control Center allows to monitor the Kafka topics, but I’m not aware of any
tool allowing to visualize the business flows of events.

Thanks!

Jonathan Roy