kafka-users mailing list archives

From Liam Clarke <liam.cla...@adscale.co.nz>
Subject Re: Batch vs buffer differences
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2018 07:29:14 GMT
Batch size is a threshold that determines when a batch sends.

Buffer size is total memory available to the producer. It determines how
many records the producer can store in memory to send.

While they relate somewhat in that buffer size couldn't be less than (batch
size * num partitions), you can set it higher to allow more buffering in
the producer.

Does that make sense? Batch size determines when a message composed of
batched records is sent. Buffer size controls producer memory.