kafka-users mailing list archives

From darekAsz <darekka...@gmail.com>
Subject Kafka compression - results
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:12:48 GMT
Hi
I made some tests of compression in kafka. First I want to check speed of
producer with compression. There are my results:
with no compression: 112.58 MB/s
with gzip compression: 63.24 MB/s
with snappy compression: 132.43 MB/s
with lz4 compression: 136.66 MB/s

Then I want to check how looks size of data on broker. I sent 500 mln 64B
records. There are my results:
directory size before sending data: 4KB
directory size after sending data compressed with gzip: 1.5 GB
directory size after sending data compressed with snappy: 366 MB
directory size after sending data compressed with lz4: 2.4 GB

And there is my question: why lz4 compression make data size bigger than
data without compression? I think that i made all tests correctly.

Best regards