kafka-users mailing list archives

From jan <rtm4...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Kafka on Windows
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2018 10:34:29 GMT
@M.Manna - thanks for your reply.
I did read that document but clearly didn't digest that bit properly.

@Liam Clarke
I don't expect code's users (either maintainers or end-users) to need
to deduce *anything*. If it needs knowing, I documented it.
I'll send you an actual example so you know it's not all talk.

>your 3 days you expended on learning the hard way that Windows is the minority market
share in servers

I had been accepted for a job which was to be a major career change.
For this I had to learn some basic linux (no, I've still never written
a bash script), scala (in depth) and kafka, and spark as well if I
could fit it in. IIRC I had less than 4 weeks to do it. To lose those
3 days mattered.

> you're resenting a free open source project?
Hardly, just the pointless loss of time.
I also try to add back to the community rather than just take. I had
been working on ANTLR stuff (which I'll return to when bits of me stop
hurting) and currently am trying to suss if permutation encoding can
be done from L1 cache  for large permutations in less than a single
DRAM access time. Look up cuckoo filters to see why.

jan

On 05/09/2018, Liam Clarke <liam.clarke@adscale.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> .sh is not .bat and easily googleable.
>
> Nothing is terrifying about updating the documentation, I just took umbrage
> at you "resenting" your 3 days you expended on learning the hard way that
> Windows is the minority market share in servers - you're resenting a free
> open source project? Because you don't know what a .sh file signifies?
>
> I'm sorry mate, but that's on you. I code for *nix but I know what .bat or
> .ps1 means.
>
> And given that 99.99% of FOSS is not built for Windows, you should always
> assume the worst unless you downloaded it from Codeplex or via NuGet.
>
> Consider those three days valuable learning instead.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Liam Clarke
>
> On Wed, 5 Sep. 2018, 9:22 pm jan, <rtm443x@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi Liam,
>> as a DB guy  that does MSSQL (on windows, obviously) I literally have
>> no idea what a .sh file is,or what that would imply. I guess it's bash
>> so yeah.
>> But what's so terrifying about actually stating in the FAQ that you
>> should not run it as production on windows?
>> Why should I conclude that kafka on windows, with java (which is
>> supported on windows), and a filesystem (which windows has), and
>> reliable networking (ditto), doesn't work?
>> When is "just read the code" ever an acceptable answer?
>> Why should I lose 3 days just because someone couldn't put "don't do
>> it" in the FAQ (which I did read), and also have other people need to
>> ask here whether windows is supported?
>> Why?
>> This is just nuts.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> jan
>>

>> On 05/09/2018, Liam Clarke <liam.clarke@adscale.co.nz> wrote:
>> > Hi Jan,
>> >
>> > I'd presume that downloading an archive and seeing a bunch of .sh files
>> > would imply that Kafka wasn't built to run on Windows.
>> >
>> > Given that it's a cluster based technology, I'd assume that it wouldn't
>> be
>> > supported for Windows given that most server based stuff isn't unless
>> > Microsoft built it.
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> >
>> > Liam Clarke

>> of