kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ryanne Dolan <ryannedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Asking about how to consume the message from follower partition
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2018 16:06:50 GMT
I'm not sure whether this is what the OP is asking for, but some
partitioned systems let you select a specific follower to consume from
_instead_ of from the leader, e.g. couchbase, which can be useful in
scenarios where there are a ton more consumers than producers for a
partition, and you don't want consumers impacting the leader's ability to
accept new events.

It's also not uncommon to have different replicas in different availability
zones or racks. Consumers may prefer reading from their local AZ, even if
that includes followers.

Ryanne