kafka-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bukowinski <pmb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kafka Mirror Maker place of execution
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:24:11 GMT
I have a setup with about 30 remote kafka clusters and one cluster in a core datacenter where
I aggregate data from all the remote clusters. The remote clusters have 30 nodes each with
moderate specs. The core cluster has 100 nodes with lots of cpu, ram, and ssd storage per
node.

I run MirrorMaker directly on the core brokers. Each broker runs one MirrorMaker instance
per edge cluster, sharing the same group.id. Since I’m running 100 instances per edge cluster,
the number of threads I use = (total partition count of topics I am mirroring) / 100. In practice,
each MM instance runs with about 25 threads, so each broker runs 25*30=750 threads of MirrorMaker.

I’ve been running this setup for many months and it’s proved to be stable with very low
consumer lag.

--
Peter Bukowinski