kafka-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bukowinski <pmb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whether kafka broker will have impact with 2 MB message size
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2019 02:58:46 GMT
We have many production clusters with three topics in the 1-3MB range and the rest in the multi-kb
to sub-kb range. We do use gzip compression, implemented at the broker rather than the producer
level. The clusters don’t usually break a sweat. We use MirrorMaker to aggregate these topics
to a large central cluster and the message sizes aren’t an issue there, either.

The main problem we have with these large topics — especially one of them that is high throughput
— is that after a cluster has been up a while and partitions have moved around (we use cruise-control)
due to hardware failures, the topic tends to become less balanced across the broker storage
and some brokers/disks fill up faster than others.

—
Peter