kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Franz van Betteraey" <fvbetter...@web.de>
Subject Aw: Re: Kafka Mirror Maker place of execution
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:02:06 GMT
Hi Peter,

these are remarkable numbers but to be honest I do not get where you run the Mirror Maker
processes.
Do you run them near the remote clusters or near the target (core?) datacenter cluster?

As I understand you run 30 MirrorMaker Instances (one for each remote cluster) on each of
the 100 Kafka Nodes of your core datacenter cluster.
So you run the Mirror Maker on the same machine as the Kafka Nodes and do not use a dedicated
machines for the Mirror Maker process?

Best regards,
  Franz

Gesendet: Dienstag, 12. März 2019 um 16:24 Uhr
Von: "Peter Bukowinski" <pmbuko@gmail.com>
An: users@kafka.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Kafka Mirror Maker place of execution
I have a setup with about 30 remote kafka clusters and one cluster in a core datacenter where
I aggregate data from all the remote clusters. The remote clusters have 30 nodes each with
moderate specs. The core cluster has 100 nodes with lots of cpu, ram, and ssd storage per
node.

I run MirrorMaker directly on the core brokers. Each broker runs one MirrorMaker instance
per edge cluster, sharing the same group.id. Since I’m running 100 instances per edge cluster,
the number of threads I use = (total partition count of topics I am mirroring) / 100. In practice,
each MM instance runs with about 25 threads, so each broker runs 25*30=750 threads of MirrorMaker.

I’ve been running this setup for many months and it’s proved to be stable with very low
consumer lag.

--
Peter Bukowinski