kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Chylek, Artur" <Artur.Chy...@sabre.com>
Subject Kafka upgrade process details
Date Thu, 09 May 2019 08:53:46 GMT
Hi,
I read the documentation about upgrading Kafka(http://kafka.apache.org/21/documentation.html#upgrade_2_1_0)
but I have questions that I believe the documentation doesn't cover. I am planning to upgrade
Kafka from 2.0.0 to 2.1.0 and would like to make sure what to do when something goes wrong
- I am mostly interested in reverting back to the older version. I admit that I am confused
about API versions, log message versions and inter broker protocol versions.

According to the documentation these are the steps I need to follow:

  1.  Set inter.broker.protocol.version to 2.0.0
  2.  I don't have currently log.message.format.version set to 2.0.0, so according to documentation
I don't need to specify it
  3.  Upgrade broker code and restart it. This is I am not sure what happens next. Since I
don't have log.message.format.version set then broker's default value will be used - I guess
2.1.1. Does it mean that:
     *   New messages that arrive from producers will be saved in a log file with a new format?
     *   Old messages that already exist in log files will be converted to the new format
once the broker starts?
     *   Does inter.broker.protocol.version has anything to do with log.message.format.version?
I guess a) and b) are not true since according to the documentation up to this point I can
revert back to the older version of Kafka. Could you confirm?

  1.  Change inter.broker.protocol.version to 2.1.1 and restart brokers - after this is done
reverting back is not possible. Could you explain what is happening in Kafka so that reverting
cannot be done?

Regards,
Artur