kafka-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Schofield <andrew_schofi...@live.com>
Subject Re: KafkaConnect not consuming from SSL/SASL cluster
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 09:49:56 GMT
Hi,
The thing that always seem to catch people out with this is that it’s necessary to repeat
the SSL/SASL configuration.

For a sink connector, you need something like:
  security.protocol=SASL_SSL
  ssl.protocol=TLSv1.2
  sasl.mechanism=PLAIN
  sasl.jaas.config=...

And you also need the same with "consumer." prefixed on each of the configuration items:
  consumer.security.protocol=SASL_SSL
  consumer.ssl.protocol=TLSv1.2
  consumer.sasl.mechanism=PLAIN
  consumer.sasl.jaas.config=..

Hope this helps.

Andrew Schofield

From: Javier Arias Losada <javier.arilos@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2019 at 10:36
To: "users@kafka.apache.org" <users@kafka.apache.org>
Subject: KafkaConnect not consuming from SSL/SASL cluster

Hello there,

we are trying to use KafkaConnect, but it isn't consuming any messages after changing to a
SSL and authenticated Kafka cluster.

With a cluster without SSL or authentication it's working perfectly fine with the same configuration
except for the sasl/ssl settings.

I think probably is a small config error, but I've been struggling to fix it, so your help
will be very much appreciated.

No errors appear on logs, and it seems to connect properly since if I intentionally change
connection parameters to wrong values (usr/pass/truststore or IPs) I see errors.

In order to check the SSL configuration I've done kafka-console-producer.sh and kafka-console-consumer.sh
with the very same .properties and hosts successfully sending/receiving messages.

In order to try to isolate the problem from the KafkaConnect Connector, I developed my own
simple Connnector that just outputs calls to the Console, but the behavior is the same: runs
OK when connecting to NON-SSL brokers while does not receive messages or prints errors when
connecting to a SSL enabled Broker.

The plugin I was trying to use is aiven-kakfa-s3-connector and tried to run it with connect-distributed.sh

Thank you very much.

Best,
Javier Arias