kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joe Ammann <...@pyx.ch>
Subject Re: Live data streaming from Oracle to oracle using Kafka
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 12:53:01 GMT
Hi Kailash

On 6/4/19 12:35 PM, Kailash Kota wrote:
> We want to live stream data from Oracle DB and to Oracle DB as a target using Kafka and
we do not want to use Oracle Golden Gate because of the extra license cost.
> Is there a way we can read the redo logs and achieve this ?

Debezium https://debezium.io/ could be an option, but the current Oracle implementation is
based on XStream, which also requires a GoldenGate license. There is work underway to use
Oracle LogMiner directly https://github.com/debezium/debezium-incubator/pull/87, but not yet
ready

> If not, can you help us on the other ways that we can stream data. Please provide any
documentation and procedure is available.

Other options involve Kafka Connect with the JDBC connector, or DB based approaches like triggers
or materialized views. Robin Moffatt has an execellent overview here https://rmoff.net/2018/12/12/streaming-data-from-oracle-into-kafka-december-2018/

--
CU, Joe