kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Matthias J. Sax" <matth...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: Kafka-streams: Mapping between number of stream threads and CPU cores?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2019 16:15:50 GMT
There is no mapping.

As a rule of thumb I would say 4 to 8 thread should be ok on a 4-core
machine. But you might want to monitor CPU utilization to get more insight.

-Matthias

On 6/13/19 10:03 AM, emailtokirank@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any mapping between number of stream threads and underlying CPU cores?  Theoretically
there shouldn't be any direct mapping. Because every stream thread is a Java thread and it
should get scheduled on CPU cycle in a standard way (context switching). Wanted to know is
there is any practical limit on number of stream threads I can span on a CentOS 7 VM with
4vCPUs?