kafka-users mailing list archives

From Kailash Kota <Kailash.K...@jda.com>
Subject RE: Live data streaming from Oracle to oracle using Kafka
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2019 07:24:03 GMT
Hi Joe,

I understand Oracle Golden Gate is a data replication tool which uses log-based technology
to stream all changes to a database from source, to target. Can you please help me in understand
what is the role of Kafka after the data is provided to it by OGG ?

Also if we just need to data replicate our oracle DB, is there any other ways we can do it
without Oracle Golden Gate ? Is Apache Storm/Flink a prospect for us to look into (though
they are streaming tools).

Thanks & Regards,

Kailash Kota

Product Development | JDA Software Pvt Ltd.

Ph: +91 80 6101 8649

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Ammann <joe@pyx.ch>
Sent: 04 June 2019 18:23
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: Live data streaming from Oracle to oracle using Kafka

CAUTION: External email. Please validate the sender before using the content. Do not select

________________________________

Hi Kailash

On 6/4/19 12:35 PM, Kailash Kota wrote:

> We want to live stream data from Oracle DB and to Oracle DB as a target using Kafka and
we do not want to use Oracle Golden Gate because of the extra license cost.

> Is there a way we can read the redo logs and achieve this ?

Debezium https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__debezium.io_&d=DwID-g&c=ToVbMNJY2W2sI6cHZmZYL1a1DSDW03K-K6TT0TaILp0&r=aGAW1WZThhVvUQAp92-lwMJA5-ISno7QC7uoFNhFRNo&m=WwpykHPxz1oLXCWQAc8N6OsoURKODnCwOynfOp9A0hY&s=xopkn1vSbRxPAV31yERJM9_G2U0yQ6ZVOXsSbhC64dM&e=
 could be an option, but the current Oracle implementation is based on XStream, which also
requires a GoldenGate license. There is work underway to use Oracle LogMiner directly https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_debezium_debezium-2Dincubator_pull_87&d=DwID-g&c=ToVbMNJY2W2sI6cHZmZYL1a1DSDW03K-K6TT0TaILp0&r=aGAW1WZThhVvUQAp92-lwMJA5-ISno7QC7uoFNhFRNo&m=WwpykHPxz1oLXCWQAc8N6OsoURKODnCwOynfOp9A0hY&s=50E0z2X4n9mlkGTKwwOjHjEUSHuJWaogDJblSwZgjJU&e=
, but not yet ready

> If not, can you help us on the other ways that we can stream data. Please provide any
documentation and procedure is available.

Other options involve Kafka Connect with the JDBC connector, or DB based approaches like triggers
or materialized views. Robin Moffatt has an execellent overview here https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rmoff.net_2018_12_12_streaming-2Ddata-2Dfrom-2Doracle-2Dinto-2Dkafka-2Ddecember-2D2018_&d=DwID-g&c=ToVbMNJY2W2sI6cHZmZYL1a1DSDW03K-K6TT0TaILp0&r=aGAW1WZThhVvUQAp92-lwMJA5-ISno7QC7uoFNhFRNo&m=WwpykHPxz1oLXCWQAc8N6OsoURKODnCwOynfOp9A0hY&s=aSAKJPmsAdTsFEI4Jq1APMAqRQXtKGgltIO-l3YM-nk&e=

--

CU, Joe

To the extent permitted by law, we may monitor electronic communications for the purposes
of ensuring compliance with our legal and regulatory obligations and internal policies. We
may also collect email traffic headers for analyzing patterns of network traffic and managing
client relationships. For additional information see https://jda.com/privacy-policy.