kafka-users mailing list archives

From Liam Clarke <liam.cla...@adscale.co.nz>
Subject Re: OOM for large messages with compression?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2019 23:12:38 GMT
Hi I Vic,

Your OOM is happening before any compression is applied. It's occurring
when the StringSerializer is converting the string to bytes. Looking deeper
into StringCoding.encode, it's first allocating a byte array to fit your
string, and this is where your OOM is occurring, line 300 of
StringCoding.java is  byte[] ba = new byte[en];

Compression is applied after the string is serialized to bytes. So you'll
need to increase your heap size to support this.

Hope that helps :)

Liam Clarke