kafka-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bukowinski <pmb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving partition(s) to different broker
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2019 07:48:57 GMT
If the only replicas for that topic partition exist on brokers 15 and 24 and they are both
down, then you cannot recover the partition until either of them is replaced or repaired and
rejoins the cluster. You may need to enable unclean leader election, as well.

As you’ve discovered, adding replicas to an offline partition partition doesn’t work.
A topic/partition needs to be in a healthy state for that to work.

Is your goal just to have no offline partitions or to recover the data contained in the affected
partition? Producers and consumers should still be able to access the topic in its current
state.

--
Peter