kafka-users mailing list archives

From Bernd Wittefeld <bernd.wittef...@inexio.net.INVALID>
Subject kafka-consumer-groups timeout when setting an offset to a specific datetime
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2019 15:18:41 GMT
Hi everyone,

we use kafka 2.3.0 from the confluent-kafka-2.11 Debian package on Debian 10.

When we want to set an offset of a consumer to a datetime, we get a timeout error even if
we use the timeout switch of the kafka-consumer-groups script:

> kafka-consumer-groups --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --group cg1 --topic 'topic1'
--reset-offsets --to-datetime '2019-11-30T00:00:00.000' --timeout 1200000 --dry-run

> Error: Executing consumer group command failed due to Failed to get offsets by times
in 60003ms
> org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to get offsets by times in 60003ms

Where can we set this timeout? As far as we could see from the documents this should be a
setting on the client side: request.timeout.ms.
We are using the kafka-consumer-groups tool that is shipped with the confluent distribution,
but this is just a wrapper to use the kafka-run-class tool, as it is with the vanilla kafka
distribution.

Setting the offset to a specific offset value or to the earliest works without any issues.

Is there any way to set the offset to a datetime value? This would be very helpful. Can you
guide on where we need to change the config so that this timeout doesn't happen?

Best regards,
Bernd