kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Reftel, Magnus" <Magnus.Ref...@skatteetaten.no.INVALID>
Subject SV: Error handling guarantees in Kafka Streams
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2020 13:48:47 GMT
Thanks, the explanation makes sense. I'll dig around a bit to see if I can figure out why that's
not what I'm seeing in my testing.

Best Regards
Magnus Reftel

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: Bruno Cadonna <bruno@confluent.io>
Sendt: onsdag 26. februar 2020 17:57
Til: Users <users@kafka.apache.org>
Emne: Re: Error handling guarantees in Kafka Streams

Hi Magnus,

with exactly-once, the producer commits the consumer offsets. Thus, if the producer is not
able to successfully commit a transaction, no consumer offsets will be successfully committed,
too.

Best,
Bruno

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Reftel, Magnus <Magnus.Reftel@skatteetaten.no.invalid>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From my understanding, it is guaranteed that when a Kafka Streams application running
with the exactly_once processing guarantee receives a record, it will either finish processing
the record (including flushing any records generated as a direct result of processing the
message and committing the transaction), invoke either the DeserializationExceptionHandler
or the ProductionExceptionHandler exception handler, or retry processing the message. Is that
correct, or are there cases where a record can be consumed (and the consumption committed)
without the Kafka Streams application being able to either produce any output or handle an
exception?

> Best Regards
> Magnus Reftel
>
> ________________________________
> Denne e-posten og eventuelle vedlegg er beregnet utelukkende for den institusjon eller
person den er rettet til og kan vaere belagt med lovbestemt taushetsplikt. Dersom e-posten
er feilsendt, vennligst slett den og kontakt Skatteetaten.
> The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s)
and may contain confidential information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If
you are not the intended recipient of this message, please immediately delete the message
and alert the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Denne e-posten og eventuelle vedlegg er beregnet utelukkende for den institusjon eller person
den er rettet til og kan være belagt med lovbestemt taushetsplikt. Dersom e-posten er feilsendt,