kafka-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bukowinski <pmb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what happened in case of single disk failure
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2020 03:56:03 GMT
Whether your brokers have a single data directory or multiple data directories on separate
disks, when a disk fails, the topic partitions located on that disk become unavailable. What
happens next depends on how your cluster and topics are configured.

If the topics on the affected broker have replicas and the minimum ISR (in-sync replicas)
count is met, then all topic partitions will remain online and leaders will move to another
broker. Producers and consumers will continue to operate as usual.

If the topics don’t have replicas or the minimum ISR count is not met, then the topic partitions
on the failed disk will be offline. Producers can still send data to the affected topics —
it will just go to the online partitions. Consumers can still consume data from the online
partitions.

-- Peter