kafka-users mailing list archives

From Fares Oueslati <oueslati.fa...@gmail.com>
Subject Topics naming convention
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2020 14:19:39 GMT
Hello,

I'm here to get some advice regarding Kafka topics naming.

If I name my topic "users" and I publish Avro events with a schema registry
using a given compatibility mode.
One day, due to business reasons, I have to break my schema, what would you
do?

add a new topic (let's call it "users-v1") ?
add a new schema registry subject and link it to the same topic "users"?

I would go for the first one (naming my topic users-v1 at first and then
incrementing) but I was wondering about consumers side effects if one day
we decide to change the topic (how they will handle offsets etc.) That's
why I m asking :)

Thank you guys!