karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Features and OBR
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:03:55 GMT
I've just added support for pluggable resolvers for features.
I've also created an OBR based resolver that is installed with the obr feature.

Now you can do the following:

  <feature name="xx" version="yy" resolver="obr">
      <bundle>bundle:(&(symbolicname=org.apache.camel.camel-blueprint)(version>=2.4.0)(version<2.4.1))</bundle>
  </feature>

If OBR has been configured with the needed repositories, it will
install camel-blueprint bundle with all the required dependencies.
The benefit is that you don't have to specify all the dependencies,
but only the key bundles.  The added benefit is that the deployment
will leverage what is already installed and you don't have to maintain
an homogeneous set of repositories (for example, you should not have
to specify which version of spring you want to use and obr will reuse
the one installed if possible, or choose which one to install based on
the constraints expressed by the bundles).

I haven't updated the feature descriptor yet, mostly because we don't
have a obr repository which contain all the bundles we need.
I have one locally that contain all the bundles present on maven
central, but it's a bit too big to be used in this context, so not
sure how to handle that yet.

Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up on that.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet