karaf-dev mailing list archives

From "Jamie G." <jamie.goody...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Karaf distribution testing
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:39:38 GMT
Hi All,

After encountering some release issues with the Apache Karaf 2.1.x
branch it has come to the forefront that we need to improve our
distribution testing. The main target of distribution testing we need
is to try out the various scripts we include in each distribution kit.
These tests would ideally cover un-archiving the kit, launch
bin/karaf, bin/start, bin/stop, bin/client, and bin/admin.

To help build these tests we can make use of bin/client to help make
ssh connections (send commands), and admin/core process library to
control the various processed involved in each test. To uncompress the
different distributions we could use commons-compress or just ask
maven to do the work for us (this is done in the Servicemix NMR &
Features projects).

Regardless of which tools we use to build these tests a certain amount
of CI will be required. Most of us currently use unix based systems,
so Windows based issues for example tend to sneak by. Hopefully by
having such tests automated we'll be able to catch distribution issues
earlier.

Cheers,
Jamie