karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: features refresh mechanism?
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:57:38 GMT
My email has been sent before I intended ....

What I wanted to add is that the goal of the refresh mechanism is to
be able to install a feature and make sure it works while minimizing
the impact.
If we were to do a global search, installing eventadmin would refresh
the blueprint extender, and then all blueprint applications, so I'm
not sure that's a good idea.

We could also imagine that creating a feature that depends on both
http + eventadmin would trigger a refresh, but then the algorithm
would become even more complicated.

That's a bit tricky, but that's why the initial provisioning (boot
features) install all features at the same time.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 23:52, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, not really sure how to handle that use case.
> I suppose we could add to the features service a scope for bundles to
> refresh and allow refreshing all bundles in the framework.
> Note that your use case only happen when you install http, then later
> eventadmin.
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 23:46, Achim Nierbeck <bcanhome@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> OK, now I understand.
>> So the issue is I do have the following
>>
>> Feature A containing bundle a
>> Feature B containing bundle b
>> which has a optional dependency on a.
>> But since A and B don't really have a common
>> root (in the concrete example it would be A the eventadmin feature
>> and B the http feature) you don't make those two
>> features dependent on each other.
>> Now how would this be handled. Is there an easy way of
>> handling this in future?
>>

>>> Right, so it's a bit more focused ...
>>>
>>> So let's say we have:
>>>    * Feature A containing bundle a
>>>    * Feature B containing
>>>         feature A
>>>         bundle b
>>> so that bundle b solves an optional package for bundle a.
>>>
>>> Now, you install feature A, so bundle a gets resolved.
>>> You then install feature B.  The algorithm will find all bundles that
>>> 'would have been installed' and check if one should be refreshed.
>>> In that case, bundle a should be refreshed.

fragments.
if you want
 I guess ideally,
possible with the