karaf-dev mailing list archives

From "Jamie G." <jamie.goody...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modeling tools
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:30:31 GMT
I've used Visual Paradigm for UML back when the Kernel was first
moving to the Felix community, they do have a community 'free' edition
[1] however it's really striped down from their full versions (at
least as of that time frame). I think that if we were to invest time
in developing UML diagrams than making them as accessible as possible
via free tooling would be the best course. As to which tool to use
bouml, umbrello, et al are all viable candidates.

Cheers,
Jamie

[1] http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/vpuml.jsp?edition=ce

2010/12/30 Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>:
> Hi Andreas,
> Many of vendors have academic programs and so on. We may ask for full licenses for free,
non-commercial use (documentation). If they'll decline we may back to open sourced tools.
What is important for me - is multi platform. Some of you working on Macs, others on Linux
and I on windows. ;-) Created diagram should be exportable to some text form (for example
XML/XMI) and easy to put into version control to allow tracking it and modification in future.

> Lukasz

architecture, but I'm not so sure if we should use tools which are not available for free.

> Although not too pretty e.g. bouml [1] should do the job. At least it is open source
and available pre-packed on all (major) platforms/distributions.