karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Suggested 3.x.x functionality
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:00:08 GMT
Hi Mike,

On 02/28/2011 07:36 PM, karafman wrote:
> We've been talking in IRC about new features we could add to Karaf to make it
> more accessable to development teams who don't know much about OSGi.  Things
> that would decrease the learning curve.  This thread's intent is to gather
> suggestions, and to give feedback to them.
Be careful with this kind of statement :)
Karaf is an OSGi container. OSGi is a technology, a programming method,
a norm/specification. So people should learn OSGi. People should adapt
to OSGi, and not the reverse. It's exactly the same think when JEE began.
However, if at the end people should have a good OSGi understanding, I'm
OK to provide ways to increase OSGi adoption :).

> To start the thread:
>
> 1) Inspect each bundle on deployment for the MANIFEST.MF header
> "Bundle-ManifestVersion", and then automatically wrap ones missing that
> header.
I'm not sure to follow, what the purpose of this ? Felix
maven-bundle-plugin populates the Bundle-ManifestVersion statement, and
for non-OSGi jar, the wrap deployer add it too.
So, -1 for me, the bundle should be well formed and wrapped.
I'm ok to raise a warning message but not to do it for the users.
> 2) Have Karaf look at each .jar or .ear being deployed for a
> "Bundle-Version" in its Manifest.MF file, and if it doesn't have it, look
> for a ./lib directory, wrapping and deploying everything in that directory,
> then removing it from the original .jar file, then wrapping the original
> .jar file, and finally deploying and starting the original.  This wouldn't
> configure services, but it would provide a strong starting point for teams
> moving from JEE to Karaf.
Why not but it could have important side effect.
I'm more to log a warning message.
> 3) Have karaf look in META-INF/spring and OSGI-INF for all xml files, and
> then automatically add any packages referenced there to the Import-Package
> portion of the MANIFEST.MF file.  This is probably a bnd change, but still
> would be a nice-to-have.
Same, as previous point, it could have side effect.

I understand your points but I'm not very please to provide it
"automatically" in Karaf.

Regards
JB