karaf-dev mailing list archives

From mikevan <mvangeert...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Karaf-Max assembly
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 13:52:29 GMT

Christian Schneider wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> while this is sure possible it would be quite big. Especially if you
> also would include other projects like camel or activemq.
>
> Instead I propose to add some commands to karaf to download dependencies
> to the sytem dir. So the user could load karaf. Add the feature url he
> needs and with some simple commands download them to the system dir.
> Then he can zip the distro again and use it in the closed environment.
>
> I think that would be much more flexible.
>
> Christian
>

> Am 03.05.2011 20:46, schrieb mikevan:
>> For folks developing applications to deploy into Karaf on closed
>> networks, it
>> is not always feasable to be able to download all the optional packages
>> for
>> which we have optional console commands.  I'm thinking web:, http:, obr:,
>> and the like.
>>
>> I propse we create a new assembly for karaf that will include all of the
>> optional bundles in the system directory for use in closed-networks.
>> After
>> talking about this topic on IRC it seems that many of us developing on
>> closed networks have created work-arounds for this.  Because there are so
>> many work-arounds, perhaps its time to have a single Karaf-Max deployment
>> that contains all of the optional bundles for karaf.
>>
>> If it helps, I can write it... :-)
>>
>> -----
>> Mike Van (aka karafman)
>> Karaf Team (Contributor)
>> --

> ----
> http://www.liquid-reality.de

Another way to think of what would be included in karaf-max is that anything
referenced in the karaf features.xml file (think mandatory features and
optional features) would be included in the karaf-max release.  With this in
mind, Apache projects that can be used in Karaf, but aren't referenced in
the karaf features.xml documents would not be included.  So, ActiveMQ would
not be part of the distibution, Camel would not be part of the distribution.
However, Aries (included in the enterprise features.xml document) would be,
as would the shell libraries for web and obr.

Pls let me know if this clarifies things for you.

-----
Mike Van (aka karafman)
Karaf Team (Contributor)