karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Karaf-Max assembly
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 06:45:12 GMT
Exactly this approval process is what I wanted to support with my
proposal. You create your own distro in an easy way and have exactly
what you need. This will make approval easier.

We could of course also create a max assembly and combine it with a
custom distro functionality. So people could downlaod the max assembly
into their closed environment. Then use some commands to create their
own stripped down distro. Which they can then feed into approval.

Christian

Am 04.05.2011 00:25, schrieb David Jencks:
> Hi Christian,
>
> You can do this right now in trunk with a karaf-assembly project.
>
> I don't see how it really helps in a closed environment, nor do I understand how the
proposed karaf-max will help.  In my experience when you have a closed environment there's
an approval process to get stuff into it.   Despite Mike's first answer to me,  I still don't
understand how packaging 150 bundles into an assembly when you only need 100 will make that
approval process easier.  I'd also expect a closed environment to need to make most of the
imported artifacts available to the build system which AFAICT neither Mike nor your proposal
address.

> And, I still don't have any problem with adding such a mega-assembly.  I don't think
it will help anyone in a closed environment but it does seem like it might make all the possibilities
easier to discover and play with.

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On May 3, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> while this is sure possible it would be quite big. Especially if you also would include
other projects like camel or activemq.

>> Instead I propose to add some commands to karaf to download dependencies to the sytem
dir. So the user could load karaf. Add the feature url he needs and with some simple commands
download them to the system dir. Then he can zip the distro again and use it in the closed
environment.