karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 07:24:22 GMT
Hi Achim,

my only concern with -s option is that it will start all features in the
features descriptor.

For instance:

features:addUrl -s
mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.7.1/xml/features

will install all features in the Camel features descriptor whereas the
users expect 3 or 4 depending of their routes.

That's why the start behavior should be define by feature. I'm agree
with the Guillaume comments about avoid to define this on the feature
itself. The autostart property (using regexp/LDAP filter) allows to
control this behavior feature by feature.

Regards
JB

On 05/31/2011 09:02 AM, Achim Nierbeck wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
> picking up your two ideas,
>
> for 1 I'd rather would expect something like features:addUrl -s like
> with the osgi:install that it should start all features within the
> features url
> this way we are more consistent and I think it gives the user the
> needed control.
> for 2 I agree since is actually the behavior I would have expected anyways :-)
>
> regards, Achim
>
> 2011/5/31 Jean-Baptiste Onofré<jb@nanthrax.net>:
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> I'm fully agree with you and it's my first concern when you read my previous
>> e-mail of the thread.
>>
>> I prefer:
>> 1/ add a autostart property in the etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file to
>> features installed from the command line. It allow people to automatically
>> start the features that he wants.
>> 2/ enhance the deployer (kar and features) to automatically start the
>> features dropped in the deploy folder
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 05/30/2011 08:05 PM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi JB,
>>>
>>> I don´t think autostart makes sense as a default. For example take the
>>> camel feature file. You would probably never want to start all the
>>> features. Blacklisting all that should not be started also seems like a
>>> bad idea as in the camel case that would be just too many.
>>>
>>> I like the current way it works. features:addurl only installs the file
>>> and in a scond step you start the features you need. An option on addUrl
>>> could start all the features in the file if this is wanted.
>>>
>>> For features dropped into the deploy dir the dir should give the
>>> default. So if the default is to start bundles dropped into that dir
>>> then features should also be started. Kars should then behave in the
>>> same way.
>>>
>>> Christian

KAR