karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Features autostart attribute
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 10:44:25 GMT
I do understand that use case, but adding a flag is kinda abritrary
and one may want some features while someone else want another set of
features, so adding some flags to the camel descriptor will only
benefit a few users.
I think to solve that problem, one should write a simple feature
descriptor with a single feature and dependencies on what they need.
Then they'd just drop that one and have what they want:

<features>
   <repository>mvn:org.apahce.camel:....</repository>
   <feature name="what-i-need">
       <feature>camel-blueprint</feature>
   </feature>
</features>

That way, you don't drop camel features descriptor directly, but only
the ones you need instead.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:27, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Yes, I think we should distinguish the two kinds of features.
>
> For instance, when adding the camel features descriptor, you have a bunch of features.
>
> If it makes to have camel-core, camel-spring and camel-blueprint automatically installed,
I don't think it's the case for camel-stream, camel-atom, etc as it depends of the user usage.

> I'm afraid that installing all features by default will install a lot of features for
nothing and Karaf will be weight for nothing (especially regarding ServiceMix :)).

> Regards
> JB
>
> On Fri 27/05/11 11:23 , Guillaume Nodet  wrote::
>
> I agree.  The question is does it make sense to have the features
> available but not installed ?  If not we could just change the
> behavior without adding any flags at all.
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:18, Jean-Baptiste Onofré jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>> Hi Guillaume,
>>
>> currently, if you drop a features descriptor ino the deploy folder, the features
are present, but not installed and the bundles are not started.

>> So the users have to install the features by hand after.
>>
>> More over, it's the same behavior with a KAR: no features in the KAR are installed/started.
>>
>> On the other hand, it could have sense to have features installed/started automatically
when adding the features URL.

>> For instance, adding the Camel features descriptor URL could automatically install/start
camel-core, camel-spring and camel-blueprint features.

>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On Fri 27/05/11 11:08 , Guillaume Nodet  wrote::
>>
>> What would be the effect ? installing the feature or starting the
>> bundles, or both ?
>> I think dropping a feature descriptor in the deploy folder should
>> automatically install the feature (and start the bundles), I'm not
>> sure to see what the benefit of not doing that would be.
>>
>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:54, Jean-Baptiste Onofré jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What do you think about adding an autostart attribute on the features element
?

>>> The purpose is to be able to have something like:

>>> When an user register a features descriptor (using features:addurl), deploy a
KAR containing a features descriptor or drop a features descriptor in the deploy folder, Karaf
will try to automatically start the features with autostart flag set to true.

>>> It will avoid users to:
>>> - start by hand features contained in a KAR: the user can drop the KAR into the
deploy folder, but he must connect to Karaf and start the features by hand

--
Guillaume Nodet