karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Karaf-Max assembly
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 15:38:46 GMT
TBH I see this a little bit different. Basically I think we should
offer only two distributions. One "online" and one "offline". The
online distribution contains only the absolute bare and minimum system
(similar to the min distribution now) and would be the "new"
apache-karaf distribution. This one is the default distribution
starting up with the bare minimum and the user can install anything he
wants using features:install getting them online. The offline should
contain all artifacts (even if it becomes quite big).

IMHO the feature system is sufficient enough (and easy enough to
understand and use) that this should work.

BUT what I do think could be useful is to add "ueber-features". E.g.
features:install karaf-clusteredserver, karaf-webserver,
karaf-obrserver should represent our distribution. I think if we add
this information in the default startup header

{code}
KARAF

press tab for ...

To transform karaf into a specific distribution use

 * features:install karaf-clusterservice (for a clustered version...
 * ...
{code}

That way we can be quite minimal and focus on the real code providing
all distributions only "virtually"... WDYT?

Kind regards,
Andreas