karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 11:21:20 GMT
I think we need a way to enable user to install other features easily
without having to release karaf for that.
It just does not scale if we have to release Karaf because Camel as
released a new version for example.
We've already discussed that some time ago and I think we need to find
a good technical solution for that.
Maybe having a xml feature descriptor referenced at
http://karaf.apache.org/features/repository.xml which would point to
various other repositories (such as camel, cxf, servicemix, web,
aries, etc...) is more scalable as we would not have to release a new
karaf container each time one of those things change.  People may want
Apache Direction, OpenEJB, ActiveMQ, etc..., we can't host all those
things in Karaf trunk as this would create unnecessary ties between
the projects and Karaf.

Once we have that, we should keep Karaf main distribution clean and
lean and provide all the optional bits using this way.   Combined with
an easy way to create custom distribution, I do think that's the way
to go.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet