karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:03:38 GMT
Hi Claus,

great that you weigh in with your experience from camel. You do a lot of
documentation changes so I trust you know how the wiki feels in practice.
You should also try the process in suversion though. I think it looks
much more appealing until you do it.

The different version are a big problem of course. But the downside of
subversion in this case would be that you would either have to port
every change that applies to all versions back to each version or you
would loose these changes in the older documentations.

I think the solution for camel in the wiki is to clearly define which
versions we support and remove the depreacted documentation. Of course
we can keep a pdf of the old documentation for people who use older
versions.

Still your points sure have value and I think they show that it would
not make sense to revert to wiki right now. But I think it makes sense
to revisit the decision after some time to see if the advantages of
subversion based docu really outweigh the problems.

Christian

Am 17.06.2011 11:09, schrieb Claus Ibsen:
> Actually I envy Karaf since you have made the transition from
> confluence to scalate (eg docs in svn).
>
> Maintaining the Camel wiki documentation is becoming a problem with
> the sheer number of releases we have.
> It starts to become a lot of .. if you use Camel version X then bla
> bla, but if you use version Y then bla bla, or if version Z then bla
> bla.
> This is not convenient for end users of Camel to read the
> documentation in this manner.
>

> And since Camel 1.x is EOL we still have documentation that only
> applies for that release. Its frankly a big task to go over all the
> wiki pages and remove any obsolete documentation.
>
> And in terms of contributions by people who have edit rights to wiki
> pages and does some changes, then thats a very small number. Maybe
> once a month. Likewise with people who comment on the wiki pages.
>
> Instead having the documentation in svn is a big +1 IMHO. And I would
> love that we did this transition in Camel.
>
> And we had a discussion about this last year. And Hadrian wrote up a
> summary of that
> http://camel.apache.org/site-update-ideas.html

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de