karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:16:04 GMT
Am 17.06.2011 12:53, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:

> Over the last 5 years, I've rarely seen people contributing a lot to
> the doc without being or becoming committers.
> I don't want to change a technical decision based on the fact that
> people *might* need something, but rather what people actually need.
> You are a committer, so you can access / modify the documentation
> without any problems.  So what are your real problems with the current
> solution ?  We can easily set up nightly uploads or even an hourly
> cron job (though given the change rate, i think a nightly one should
> be sufficient).   If you need an editor, you always find some software
> I think such as
> http://www.labnol.org/software/wysiwyg-wiki-editor/18062/ though I
> tend to use the "mvn jetty:run" which works quite well as you can see
> your changes immediately.
For me as a committer now it is ok. I also do not have problems with
editing wiki syntax text files by hand. After reading all the comments I
think that
the solution is good for now. I just fear that we might not really
attract people to help. But you are right people who just work on the
documentation are rare anyway.

It would be great if we could establish an automatic update of the
website for trunk and the current production branch. Ideal would be a
script like in jenkins that only fires when there are real changes then
it can be run in very short cycles. Btw. How about using jenkins to
update the website? The update just has to be callable from maven and we
have to authenticate in some way. Jenkins would also allow to track when
and why updates have beem done.

> The main problem is that we've been asked by infra to get rid of
> confluence, so I certainly don't want to think about getting back to
> confluence unless infra retracts.
Yes I also heard about this. I would really like to know what the plans
are in respect to confluence.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de