karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Karaf first birthday concall minute notes
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:37:49 GMT
Hi Christian,

nice Try :-)

actually I like the way the page works right now, it's just something
that needs a bit more "tweaking".

I'd rather see the current process enhance a bit. The generation of
HTML and PDF out of the documentation
in code, I rather like. This way the documentation is "closer" to the code.

It's just that certain pages which are more dynamic than the manual
could be written in Confluence and
be "subpaged"

another thing I would like to see is a "trunk based" documentation to
show the current documentation
this way People are closer to the current development.

Regards, Achim

2011/6/17 Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net>:
> I know that I have proposed this before and then got the answer that this
> was discussed already. Still I have the feeling that everybody dislikes the
> current way we build our website.... so again a try :-)...
>
> I would even go a step farther and do as much of the website on the wiki as
> possible. Dan Kulp has written an exporter script that syncs the wiki to
> static pages so the admins can live with it.
>
> I think we have to try to make the website and documentation as open as
> possible. The wiki allows us to give editing right to anyone with a valid
> icla. That is much more accessible than the current site.
> Additionally any change can be seen right after the change on the wiki. I
> think that is a big motivation. Currently you have to submit a patch for the
> website and wait for someone to commit it and then for someeone else to sync
> it to the web. This process can take months sometimes. That is quite
> frustrating and I am sure it is the reason why we have so few updates to the
> site and documentation.
> Another nice thing of the wiki is that it is a first step of contribution
> below submitting patches. So people can come in contact with the project
> gradually.
>
> Of course the wiki has the problem that it is not synched to the releases
> but in cxf and camel this is also not the case. Still it works well there.
> The way to couple the documentation to releases is to note for example which
> attribute of a command has been introduced in which version. This is niot
> perfect but works quite well in practice.
>
> Christian
>

> Am 17.06.2011 09:46, schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré:
>>
>> Agree Andreas,
>>
>> I think that:
>> - link to the wiki "cap" page in the community area of the website
>> - wiki pages as children of the "cap" page
>>
>> is the most efficient way.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>
> --