karaf-dev mailing list archives

From " Jean-Baptiste Onofré" ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Towards Karaf 3.0.0
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:23:37 GMT
Hi all,

We should now focus on the Karaf 3.0.0 release. I have a set of proposals to deal with you.

1 - Jira
----------
As you certainly saw in your mailbox, I started to prepare the Karaf 3.0.0 roadmap.

I edited Jira issues to add a fix version and the component. Feel free to review directly
the issues associated to the 3.0.0 release (simply search the fix version 3.0.0 in Jira).

We have also:
- Karaf 3.0.1
- Karaf 3.1.0
where you can move the issues depending of the severity/priority.

I would like also to propose some changes in the Jira components. Currently, the Jira components
are not very helpful. I think that we need more fine-grained components. I propose:
- OBR: all issues related to OBR
- Shell: all issues related to shell display and shell commands (it's currently console)
- WebConsole: all issues related to the web console
- WebContainer: all issues related to the web container, web deployer, Pax-Web
- Features: all issues related to Karaf features
- WrapDeployer: all issues related to wrap deployer
- KAR: all issues related to KAR artifact and deployer
- OSGi/Runtime: all issues related to bundle installation, OSGi framework, etc
- Cellar: all issues related to Karaf Cellar

2 - Subversion
--------------------
Currently Karaf 3.0.0 is the Karaf trunk.

I propose:
- to focus on the Jira issues first, that it should be fixed on trunk
- release Karaf 3.0.0
- when Karaf 3.0.0 is out, I will create the karaf-3.0.x branch, and the trunk will become
Karaf 3.1.0

Is it OK for you ?

3 - Quality
Karaf 3.0.0 is an important release. It's expected by a lot of people and projects, and for
a long time now :)

It's really important that we insure the highest quality for this release.
It means that I don't wanna rush on this release: I would like that we take a time to make
clean code, deep tests, add the unit tests when it's required, etc.

So, no rush, we take the time that we need :)

Thanks
Regards
JB