karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Moulliard <cmoulli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Towards Karaf 3.0.0
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 05:05:56 GMT
Hi,

Regarding to the content of the release 3.0.0, we should provide not a
small enhancement based on Karaf 2.x but a real evolution to move
Karaf into a new area. Doing code cleanup + adding more tests cases +
web site revamping + documentation improvement will be a big
achievement but we must deliver new interesting features for target
projects using it : ServiceMix, Geronimo, ...

That means that we must in this release :
- Simplify the deployment process of the different archives (EAR, WAR,
EBA, JAR, KAR, Spring, Blueprint) and help our end users for doing
that through Maven, OBR, ... - Question : Do we have to support all of
them ? Maybe we could restrict the deployment of the required type
(JAR, Bundle, Spring, Blueprint, WAR ?) and let's project like
Geronimo to take care about EAR, EJB modules ?
- Provide a more Enterprise Web Console for operating Karaf -
configuring DataSource(s), web modules, Security, ...
- Add admin profile to restrict usage of the Karaf commands as we only
support right now a full admin access
- Improve and refactor commands like also the display- e.g. when we
display all commands --> should be grouped and separate from each
other, shortcut displayed at the end, ...
- Provide the strategy to be used to perform unit test/integration
with Karaf using pax-exam, pax-exam-2, .... or any other solution
allowing to mock OSGI platform
- Provide repository of enterprise features (Hibernate, EJB, ...) or
at least governance rules to allow third party projects to develop
such features and pass them into a acceptance program to certified
them according to Karaf releases.

+ 1 for JB propositions + mine improvements of components
+ 1 for a Karaf 3.0 release proposing more enterprise features
- for RC

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Apache Committer

Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
Skype: cmoulliard

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
> <big snip>
>
>> * Karaf profiles & Kar files (IMHO this is one of the most important
>> features for 3.x and not present in the issues by now; there had been
>> considerable work on this by David, but still, we're missing a
>> possibility to start e.g. CXF without modifying some files in etc)
>
> I'm really hoping that 3.0.0 will have the minimal and standard assemblies created using
kars/features rather than the old style maven-assembly-plugin.  I haven't been able to work
on this for a while but i thought I left it in a state as least as functional as the old-style
servers.  The only bit I recall as missing is the legal files.

> What are you looking for to start e.g. cxf?  IIRC you can assemble a server including
a cxf feature as a boot feature, or add it in later as a regular feature....