karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Towards Karaf 3.0.0
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:26:27 GMT
Hey,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> 1 - Jira
> ----------
> As you certainly saw in your mailbox, I started to prepare the Karaf 3.0.0 roadmap.

Definitely :)

> I edited Jira issues to add a fix version and the component. Feel free to review directly
the issues associated to the 3.0.0 release (simply search the fix version 3.0.0 in Jira).

This may helps:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator!executeAdvanced.jspa

project = Karaf AND fixVersion="3.0.0" AND status in (Open, Reopened,
"In Progress")

TBH I'm not too happy with the current roadmap. There are only
bug-fixes or minor enhancements which are also backported to 2.x; IMHO
we're missing at least 1-2 killer features making it worth for people
to upgrade to 3.x. We had various of those topics  in the karaf
birthday (btw, when will be the next one? This was fun :)) discussion
and on our roadmap. By link:

* https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Apache+Karaf+First+Birthday+Meeting+%282011-06-16%29
* https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Roadmap

By name:

* Clustering (ok, this is cellar and already possible on 2.x)
* Karaf profiles & Kar files (IMHO this is one of the most important
features for 3.x and not present in the issues by now; there had been
considerable work on this by David, but still, we're missing a
possibility to start e.g. CXF without modifying some files in etc)
* Karaf Enterprise Repository (No issue and no work on this by now)
* JDK 1.6 (done)
* Tooling & dependencies (here is still some work to do (and no issues)
* JAAS easy configuration (is it easier by now?)
* Improve Karaf development platform
* Web Console (I think this is not such a thing for 3.x; I'll provide
a prototype for this one with pax-wicket asap pax-wicket reaches 1.0
(latest end auf August I hope)
* Karaf Cave OBR (OK, not relevant for 3.x; rather a new subproject)

OK, with all of them named I think Karaf-3.0 should at least contain
two of the above mentioned features to be REALLY valuable for all
people. Considering the threads on related mailinglists (smx, cxf,
camel, ...) I think the following two should be definitely in 3.0 (at
least for 70% and usable):

* Karaf profiles & Kar files
* Karaf Enterprise Repository

WDYT?

> 2 - Subversion
> --------------------
> Currently Karaf 3.0.0 is the Karaf trunk.
>
> I propose:
> - to focus on the Jira issues first, that it should be fixed on trunk
> - release Karaf 3.0.0
> - when Karaf 3.0.0 is out, I will create the karaf-3.0.x branch, and the trunk will become
Karaf 3.1.0

> Is it OK for you ?

Nothing to add; +1

> 3 - Quality
> Karaf 3.0.0 is an important release. It's expected by a lot of people and projects, and
for a long time now :)

> It's really important that we insure the highest quality for this release.
> It means that I don't wanna rush on this release: I would like that we take a time to
make clean code, deep tests, add the unit tests when it's required, etc.

> So, no rush, we take the time that we need :)

+1 to sonar; maybe some quality stats defined we want to reach before 3.0?

Kind regards,
Andreas