karaf-dev mailing list archives

From mikevan <mvangeert...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf Cellar 2.2.2
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:39:49 GMT
iocanel,

Good suggestion. I'm running into test hurdles while writing the vcloud
module.  In my case, I'm using an actual implementation of VMWare to ensure
my compute-based vcloud module works properly. For unit testing, I'm working
with the JClouds folks to figure out how to mock-out the contexts and
restful connections I need.  Unfortunately, I estimate that this effort will
take at least 2 more weeks to complete.  If you have the cycles to dedicate
to writing blobstore specific unit tests, you'll probably get to it before
me.

iocanel wrote:

> +1
>
> Mike has a point about unit tests and additional cloud features. I don't
> consider it a release blocker though.
>
> Mike feel free to write a test or to if you have some free cycles and I am
> sure that more will be added in time.
>
> On Friday, August 5, 2011, mikevan &lt;mvangeertruy@comcast.net&gt; wrote:
>> -1 (non-binding) . Downloaded the code, compiled it, and was able to get
>> cellar 2.2.2 working per Iocanel's instructions on github.  -1 because:
>>
>> 1) There are no Unit tests for the Karaf Cellar's cloud module. This
> should
>> be corrected because we cannot verify programmatically whether or not it
>> actually works.  Additionally, the lack of unit tests sets a bad standard
>> for other contributors and committers. In a non-Foss world, the lack of
> any
>> unit-testing would absolutely be a show-stopper.
>>
>> 2) Cellar Cloud only does dynamic discovery.  Per the NIST definition of
>> Cloud Computing, there are several other services (such as dynamic
>> allocation/deallocation of service nodes) that we need to provide before
>> Cellar can be considered a truly cloud-based management capability for
>> Karaf. This update does not meet the definition, as such, in true
>> honesty,
>> we should not advertise cellar as a cloud utility, yet.
>>

>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We solved 11 issues in this release covering bug fixes and new features.
>>> This release especially solves an issue on Equinox and includes cloud
>>> support and bundle synchronisation.
>>>
>>> Staging repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-008/
>>>
>>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards

-----