karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: Extend the karaf commands by a wizard
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 22:33:42 GMT
Philipp, it might be beneficial to clarify first which actions you want
wizarded, "Give me a wizard", the effective phrasing of Karaf-780, is
too vague to be workable:  which actions do you want the wizards to walk
you through?  Even if the answer is "everything", there are over a
hundred actions available with Karaf, so it would still be good to have
an enumerated list of your priorities, also, to judge the value of
creating these wizards to begin with.

My problem with these wizards is that Linux command shells generally
don't have them and everybody's been cool with that for years--so I'm
not sure the Karaf command line needs to be burdened with them,
especially since Karaf is generally for advanced developers who can
actually be irritated by an overly childish/chatty command line
interface.  Also, wizard coding is monotonous and has a high potential
of having several bugs, patches and reports of which could distract the
team from core functionality.  Finally, if you're thinking that wizards
should take away the need to have to flag the each parameter, i.e.,
"create 1 Sam" instead of "create --id 1 --name Sam") that could be
risky should people get the arguments in the wrong order.

In lieu of wizards it may be better to make sure Karaf's web interface
is enhanced, or a GUI provided that provides an easy way for a user to
run the most common tasks.

Regards,
Glen