karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Links to the manual on the website....
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:36:42 GMT
Sounds good to me. While it is nice that our documentation is versioned
we do one very bad thing in the web site. We have pages that disappear
after some time. Generally this should not happen as people can have
links to our pages.

So we either should have all the user guides in directories like 2.2.2
and never delete them or not publish links like
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/2.2.2/users-guide/index.html

Whatever we choose we should make sure that pages we had once, do not
simply disappear. While it is possible that people want to have the
documentaton of older versions I think that is not the typical use case.
I think typically people search for the documentation of the most
current release and they want to be able to bookmark it. Then later they
want to still find the most current documentation there.

So I think we should announce only a link like
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/2.2.x-latest/users-guide/index.html on
the main page of karaf.
We some time ago dicussed that we should also have some kind of
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/trunk. Can someone create a sync for that
too?

Christian

Am 15.08.2011 16:23, schrieb Daniel Kulp:
> Everytime Karaf releases a new version, I seem to have to update my bookmarks
> and other locations to point at the new version of the manual on the website.
> Would people object to having a sym-link of:
>
> latest-2.2.x  ->  2.2.2
>
> in the manual directory that could be used for such links.   Eventually we
> could have latest-3.x along side the 2.2.x and such.
>

> Thoughts?

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect