karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Manual generation questions
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 06:30:05 GMT
Hi David,

I mean that you can use the "free" version of PrinceXML to generate the
Karaf PDF manual.
The Karaf PDF manual is "optional" as the first target is the HTML
version. If you don't use the manual profile, the manual won't be
generated (I mean it's not required for end-users build).
We already defined a manual profile to exclude the manual generation
from the normal build.

Regards
JB

On 08/25/2011 08:26 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> Are you saying that the karaf pdf manual is intended to be generated by non-commercial-licensed
prince xml?  That is definitely still a licensed copy of prince xml, and as I said, I don't
think the license conditions would be ok for distributing the result from apache.

> I also don't think that running the build should require manually downloading a commercial
product.  If there's some way to make it ok to distribute the manual can we at least make
it so that you need to specify a profile to generate the pdf?

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Aug 24, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> you can use PrinceXML without license:
>>
>> "If this is a Non-commercial license, Licensee may download, install and use the
Software for Non-commercial Purposes on a computer that is accessible to any number of end
users."

>> You can download it from there:
>> http://www.princexml.com/download/7.1/
>>
>> and just be sure that prince is in your PATH.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 08/25/2011 03:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>> I can't get the manual generation to work.  After removing some ant scripting
that was causing the build to fail, I got to an error saying

>>>   ERROR: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "prince": error=2,
No such file or directory

>>> I looked online to find out about prince xml and found this on their license
page:

>>> When the Non-commercial license is used to routinely generate documents, a prominent
link to the www.princexml.com Web site shall be displayed on the pages from where the generated
documents can be fetched, and in a prominent Web page where business partners are listed.
If PDF documents are sent as email attachments by Licensee, all email messages must contain
the www.princexml.com Web address in the message body.

>>> This looks to me unacceptable for use at apache.  Does apache have a commercial
license?  Does someone? Are there instructions somewhere?

>>> It looks like html got generated ok, if there's some reason using prince xml
is ok can we make the pdf generation done in a profile?

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org