karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Karaf Cellar 2.2.2
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:50:10 GMT
I'm with JB here. In addition making reasonable integration tests for
karaf-cellar would be a real bunch of work. For this pax-exam needs to start
two test engines which will be quite interesting to implement but not
without work I would say...

Otherwise I do not vote for now. guava is currently not available via m2. JB
is currently pushing guava-osgi 0.9.0 to the servicemix repos. I'll
continue/finish the evaluation once the artifact is pushed

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 08:43, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Mike:
>
> The main purpose of Cellar 2.2.2 is to fix issues, especially one on
> Equinox and add the MBeans support.
> We decided to "merge" the cloud and bundle sync features from the trunk as
> it could be interested to start to use it.
>
> I'm agree with your points but I'm not sure that we have to cancel the
> release.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 08/05/2011 07:18 AM, mikevan wrote:
>
>> -1 (non-binding) . Downloaded the code, compiled it, and was able to get
>> cellar 2.2.2 working per Iocanel's instructions on github.  -1 because:
>>
>> 1) There are no Unit tests for the Karaf Cellar's cloud module. This
>> should
>> be corrected because we cannot verify programmatically whether or not it
>> actually works.  Additionally, the lack of unit tests sets a bad standard
>> for other contributors and committers. In a non-Foss world, the lack of
>> any
>> unit-testing would absolutely be a show-stopper.
>>
>> 2) Cellar Cloud only does dynamic discovery.  Per the NIST definition of
>> Cloud Computing, there are several other services (such as dynamic
>> allocation/deallocation of service nodes) that we need to provide before
>> Cellar can be considered a truly cloud-based management capability for
>> Karaf. This update does not meet the definition, as such, in true honesty,
>> we should not advertise cellar as a cloud utility, yet.
>>

>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We solved 11 issues in this release covering bug fixes and new features.
>>> This release especially solves an issue on Equinox and includes cloud
>>> support and bundle synchronisation.
>>>
>>> Staging repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/**content/repositories/**
>>> orgapachekaraf-008/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-008/>
>>>
>>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards