karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Manual generation questions
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:08:13 GMT
Hi,

I don't think I'm explaining my concerns clearly enough.  Let me try again.

I think the sideways P logo at the top of the first page of the 2.2.2 karaf user manual from
here:  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/karaf/manual/2.2.2/manual-2.2.2.pdf
means the pdf was generated by the free non-commercial-licensed prince xml.  If so, I think
we are clearly violating the license clause I quoted, as the page I downloaded it from, http://karaf.apache.org/
does not have a prominent link to www.princexml.com nor can I find a prominent web page listing
business partners including princexml.

I don't think the attribution terms in the license will be OK with the apache policies on
what can be on websites, although I'm happy to be proven wrong.  I think that if someone happens
to own a professional license for prince xml they can generate the pdf and we can distribute
it without further attribution.

In addition, I think the default build, including the build of the manual, should succeed
without requiring manual download of proprietary software.

thanks
david jencks

On Aug 24, 2011, at 11:30 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I mean that you can use the "free" version of PrinceXML to generate the Karaf PDF manual.
> The Karaf PDF manual is "optional" as the first target is the HTML version. If you don't
use the manual profile, the manual won't be generated (I mean it's not required for end-users
build).
> We already defined a manual profile to exclude the manual generation from the normal
build.

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 08/25/2011 08:26 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> Are you saying that the karaf pdf manual is intended to be generated by non-commercial-licensed
prince xml?  That is definitely still a licensed copy of prince xml, and as I said, I don't
think the license conditions would be ok for distributing the result from apache.

>> I also don't think that running the build should require manually downloading a commercial
product.  If there's some way to make it ok to distribute the manual can we at least make
it so that you need to specify a profile to generate the pdf?

>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Aug 24, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> you can use PrinceXML without license:
>>>
>>> "If this is a Non-commercial license, Licensee may download, install and use
the Software for Non-commercial Purposes on a computer that is accessible to any number of
end users."

>>> You can download it from there:
>>> http://www.princexml.com/download/7.1/
>>>
>>> and just be sure that prince is in your PATH.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

that was causing the build to fail, I got to an error saying

error=2, No such file or directory

a prominent link to the www.princexml.com Web site shall be displayed on the pages from where
the generated documents can be fetched, and in a prominent Web page where business partners
are listed. If PDF documents are sent as email attachments by Licensee, all email messages
must contain the www.princexml.com Web address in the message body.

license?  Does someone? Are there instructions somewhere?

xml is ok can we make the pdf generation done in a profile?